[Haskell-beginners] Haskell package maturity

Thomas Koster tkoster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 00:50:34 UTC 2015

Andrew,

On 29 September 2015 at 01:15, Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since starting to look on Hackage for packages for such vital things as
> queues and algorithms, I am surprised to see very low numbers of downloads
> for packages that seem to me to be vitally important.
>
> Overall I am
> puzzled about this. I am trying to establish what packages to use in my
> coding and there seems to be little indication of what to choose, and how to
> assess code maturity. What am I missing?

I suggest simply asking the list. You should get a few opinions,
especially for "vital" packages, as long as you are precise about what
you need. If you're lucky, sometimes the actual authors/maintainers
will respond. If you're even luckier, you might get a response from
one the champions of our community. Most of these opinions should come
with some reasoning/justification. Sure, they're just anecdotes, but
the commentary can be far more useful for making a decision than the
relative number of downloads.

--
Thomas Koster