[Haskell-beginners] comment on this debugging trick?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 10:14:03 UTC 2015

Hi Dennis

For this use case I would make a small, general parser combinator
library / monad on top of XML.Light, then use the new parser
combinators to make a specialized parser for your subset MusicXML.

The common parser combinator libraries (Parsec, Attoparsec, ...) can't
be used with XML.Light because their mechanics are consuming an input
stream whereas processing XML (or JSON) is moving a cursor through a
tree, but the common API provided by parser combinator libraries can
be re-used productively for a tree (cursor) parser. As well as moving
the cursor, the custom parser monad can handle errors and backtracking
if needed.

Best wishes

Stephen

[snip]