[Haskell-beginners] Monad for Pair

Marcin Mrotek marcin.jan.mrotek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 18:56:39 UTC 2015

> Thanks for this - I’ll work through it.

Yeah, apparently I accidentaly wrote a correct instance there. You can
also use what Gesh wrote, and try to derive an instance from something
like:

tabulate :: (Bool -> a) -> Pair a
tabulate f = Pair (f True) (f False)

index :: Pair a -> Bool -> a
index (Pair a _) True = a
index (Pair _ b) False = b

instance Applicative Pair where
   pure = tabulate . pure
   fp <*> fa = tabulate $ index fp <*> index fa

instance Monad Pair where
  m >>= f = tabulate $ index m >>= index . f

The instances for a function are (in pseudo-Haskell, I don't think GHC
accepts (a ->) instead of ((->) a), but it looks cleaner that way)

instance Applicative (a ->) where
  pure = const
  f <*> g = \x -> f x (g x)

instance Monad (a ->) where
  f >>= k = \ r -> k (f r) r

> My wife once dreamt she was a C compiler - go figure… C !!??

C isn't exactly known for type safety, so things can indeed get
Kafkaesque sometimes.

Best regards,
Marcin Mrotek