[Haskell-beginners] Best MD5 module?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 05:17:10 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Patrick Mylund Nielsen <
haskell at patrickmylund.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 5:30 PM Dan Stromberg <strombrg at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> What's the best module for doing an MD5 hash?
>>
>> More specifically, I want to hash the first few dozen K of a file, and
>> then the entire file - to get two different hashes.
>>

> I would use the one from cryptohash if you're looking for performance,
> however I must stress that using MD5 for anything "new" is almost certainly
> a bad idea. If you aren't doing this for compatibility reasons, you should
> use something else, like BLAKE2: https://blake2.net/
>
> You might also be interested in
> https://hackage.haskell.org/package/saltine

My use of MD5 is strictly non-cryptographic.  It is in a limited sense for
compatibility with other software - but it's more about doing the same
algorithm in multiple languages for the sake of comparison.

I'll look at  cryptohash.

Thanks.

Dan Stromberg