[Haskell-beginners] OrdList implementation

akash g akaberto at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:58:44 UTC 2015

Just a note on the data structure.  Wouldn't a binary tree (a balanced one;
red-black, avl etc) give a logarithmic time constant for insertion while a
list will give you a worst case bound of n, n being the length of the list?

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/containers-0.5.6.3/docs/Data-Map-Strict.html
:: Data.Map uses a ordered balanced binary tree implementation for storing
and retrieving key value pairs.

Now, with that out of the way,

For 1, you are defining OrdList a to be a new data type (or type with a
data constructor).  Just to make sure users of this package cannot
construct ill-formed OrdList, you can hide the constructor and provide your
custom constructor (like fromList and its ilk).

For 2., I don't know what you mean but OrdList is a datatype or rather a
type constructor which takes an additional concrete type to form a concrete
type.  In other words, OrdList is of the kind (*->*).  Lookup kinds
(wikibooks is good for this and so are http://dev.stephendiehl.com/hask/
and learn you a haskell for great good).