[Haskell-beginners] strict evaluation and MIDI playback

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Nov 6 22:22:46 UTC 2015

Dear Dennis,

note that the `evaluate` function only evaluates to weak head normal
form (WHNF). A list may be in WHNF even when the head and tail are
unevaluated expressions. What you want is to evaluate the list of notes
to normal form (NF).

The `Control.DeepSeq` module collects functions related to obtaining
normal forms. In your case, changing the line to

   midiEvents <- evaluate $ force $ computeMidiEvents music

will probably do the trick, but you may need to implement an instance
NFData for your `MidiEvent` type.

For more details on NF, WHNF and lazy evaluation in general, see also [1].

   [1]: https://hackhands.com/lazy-evaluation-works-haskell/

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--