[Haskell-beginners] Creating modules

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri May 8 10:43:38 UTC 2015

On 8 May 2015 at 11:00, Dananji Liyanage <dan9131 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm following this lecture[1] series and stuck at the module creation
> section.
>
> Even though I understand the idea of the module I can't figure out the exact
> syntax to module creation.
>
> Do we have to compile the  Haskell file containing the module declaration?
>
> For an example:
>
> Do I have to compile this;
>
>                 module metricCalc(.....) where ...
> in a file metricCalc.hs

(First off, I believe module names must start with an uppercase
letter, i.e. call it MetricCalc.)

It depends on what you mean more exactly.

You can use `ghci` to load the source file directly:

~~~
Prelude> :l MetricCalc.hs
*MetricCalc>
~~~

If you use Cabal you can compile it and place it in a library which
you subsequently can install, so that you can use it from other
projects you work on.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org