[Haskell-beginners] Missing C libraries on windows

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Thu May 7 10:10:52 UTC 2015

On Thu, 07 May 2015 01:14:59 +0200, Cameron P-B <diewlq at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I've repeatedly run
> into issues when installing packages through cabal. It complains about
> missing C libraries and then explains that I can solve the problem by
> "installing the system package that provides this library". This has
> never
> worked for me and so I assume I'm not doing it correctly.

I usually use commands like:
   Set LIBRARY_DIR=C:\Libs
   Set PATH=%LIBRARY_DIR%\bin;%PATH%
   Set LIBRARY_PATH=%LIBRARY_DIR%\lib
   Set C_INCLUDE_PATH=%LIBRARY_DIR%\include\SDL2;%LIBRARY_DIR%\include
For C++ libraries you need to set CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH as well.

In general it is not advisable to copy DLLs to the Windows directory, this
might result in incompatibility problems (if other applications use
different versions of the DLLs); install the DLLs in the same directory as
the executable.

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--