[Haskell-beginners] Missing C libraries on windows

Cameron P-B diewlq at gmail.com
Wed May 6 23:14:59 UTC 2015

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I've repeatedly run
into issues when installing packages through cabal. It complains about
missing C libraries and then explains that I can solve the problem by
"installing the system package that provides this library". This has never
worked for me and so I assume I'm not doing it correctly.

For example, I am currently trying to install ftgl. Using
--extra-include-dirs and --extra-lib-dirs to point at the lib and include
of the c source folder of ftgl doesn't seem to work. Neither did putting
the dll's in the path.

The tutorial linked from the wiki:[
https://noamlewis.wordpress.com/2012/12/16/cabal-install-ftgl-on-windows-and-getting-exes-that-use-it-to-work/
]

also doesn't work for me. And so I was wondering if anyone has had more
recent success with that library and more generally if there were any
suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong.