[Haskell-beginners] Fwd: Maybe and Just

Corentin Dupont corentin.dupont at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 10:05:42 UTC 2015

You're right, "Just" is used at two different levels, it's just that it
have the same name is both cases.
One is at type level, the other at value level.
Since this is two separated levels, there is no risk of confusion and
having the same name is fine.

To be clear, you can write:

data Maybe = Just Int | Nothing

Then use it as:

my_value = Just 3

It the first case, "Just" is a tag in the type definition, in the second
case it's a function constructing a value.
They just happen to have the same name (a choice of Haskell language).