[Haskell-beginners] Something like pydoc?

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Mar 26 14:27:13 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 8:44 AM, David McBride <toad3k at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a hoogle command: https://hackage.haskell.org/package/hoogle.
>
> I don't use it, but I imagine you would have to set documention: True in
> cabal.config, so you get documentation for any packages you have, and then
> either use your browser, or put an alias in your .ghci to query it in your
> repl, or just use the executable.

The appropriate entries for .ghci are:

:def hoogle \x -> return $ ":!hoogle \"" ++ x ++ "\""
:def doc \x -> return $ ":!hoogle --info \"" ++ x ++ "\""

That's actually close enough. However, the python & clojure commands use
the current search path, not a database build from the online docs. I
suspect this means I want a cabal command.