[Haskell-beginners] Dipping Toes Into Haskell

Timothy Washington twashing at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 16:33:18 UTC 2015

So I've finally had a chance to revisit my tictactoe game.

import Control.Lens

data Piece = X | O | E deriving Show
type Row = [Piece]
type Board = [Row]
*data Position = Int Int deriving Show*

-- put an X or O in a position
*move :: Board -> Piece -> Position -> Board*
move board piece position = board

main :: IO ()
main = putStrLn "Hello World"

-- using Lenses
-- https://github.com/ekmett/lens/wiki/Examples
-- http://lens.github.io/tutorial.html
--
http://blog.jakubarnold.cz/2014/07/14/lens-tutorial-introduction-part-1.html

--let r1 = (E,E,E)
--let r2 = (E,E,E)
--let r3 = (E,E,E)
--let board = (r1,r2,r3)

Now, if I want to make a move, I'll want to set a *piece* on a *position*,
on a *board*. Let's assume the board has the following shape.

λ> let r1 = (E,E,E)
λ> let r2 = (E,E,E)
λ> let r3 = (E,E,E)
λ> let board = (r1,r2,r3)
((E,E,E),(E,E,E),(E,E,E))

To return an updated board, I dug around and *i)* couldn't find a core
Haskell equivalent to Clojure's update-in
<http://clojuredocs.org/clojure.core/update-in>. *ii)* Zippers only deal
with trees of left / right nodes. *iii)* So that left me with Control.Lens
<https://github.com/ekmett/lens/wiki/Examples>. Now I can easily inspect
and update the board like so.

λ> board^*._**2._1*
λ> set (*_2._1*) 42 board
((E,E,E),(42,E,E),(E,E,E))

I can then parameterize _2 or _1 like so.

λ> let a = _2
λ> board ^. a
(E,E,E)

But I can't figure out how to include that parameter's type into a
*Position* type definition. I've tried these unsuccessfully.

*data Position = Int Int deriving Show  -- original type definition*
*data Position = Simple Lens (Int a) (Int a) deriving Show  -- failing try
1*

move :: Board -> Piece -> Position -> Board
move board piece position = set (position) piece board  -- want to use this
instead of "set (*_2._1*) 42 board"

Any ideas?

:)

Tim Washington