[Haskell-beginners] Equivalent of IO Monad in other functional languages?

Sumit Sahrawat, Maths & Computing, IIT (BHU) sumit.sahrawat.apm13 at iitbhu.ac.in
Sun Mar 15 17:15:03 UTC 2015

Hello Simon,

If you changed your perspective, you would realize that all functions in
haskell are pure.
A function is pure if it returns the same output if given the same input.
Every monadic function (including functions returning IO) is also pure.
For example,

    putStrLn :: String -> IO ()
    -- A function that takes a string, and returns an impure computation
    -- which, when executed will print the given String.

For any string, putStrLn applied to that same string always describes the
same impure computation, thus the function is actually pure.
I am not familiar with any other functional language, but there are not
many purely functional ones out there [1].
I guess the impure ones get around this issue by giving in to impurity, but
I'm not sure.

I'll be interested in hearing more about the other languages too.

[1] :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programming_languages_by_type#Pure

On 15 March 2015 at 22:25, Marcin Mrotek <marcin.jan.mrotek at gmail.com>
wrote: