[Haskell-beginners] LTS is good but...

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Wed Mar 4 15:31:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 4:25 AM, emacstheviking <objitsu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What is the *preferred* way to get the lastest for OSX: Using homebrew,
>> macports or the Haskell Platform. I *used* to use the platform installer
>> but for some reason (cabal I expect!) I started trying out other ways...
>

> Depends on who you ask. I use MacPorts and keep it updated, but
> please-root-me (aka Homebrew) is preferred by most people these days. You
> will find people arguing that you should use the Platform and people who
> insist you should always install just ghc and cabal, or people who insist
> you shouldn't ever look beyond Stackage (great if Stackage bothers to
> acknowledge that the library you need exists).

Just to clarify, because there seems to be some confusion in your comments
on Stackage. When someone sets up a project to use Stackage[1], you still
have full access to all packages on Hackage, there just isn't any way to be
certain the packages will compile reliably (which is the case with
installing from Hackage as well). And getting a package into Stackage is a
simple, open procedure[2] which anyone is allowed to participate in.

In other words: Stackage acknowledges the existence of every package on
Hackage, and can provide build guarantees for any package that is added to
its build-constraints file.

[1] Minimal procedure: run `wget http://www.stackage.org/lts/cabal.config`
[2] https://github.com/fpco/stackage#get-your-package-included