[Haskell-beginners] command-line interaction with running process

Sumit Sahrawat, Maths & Computing, IIT (BHU) sumit.sahrawat.apm13 at iitbhu.ac.in
Wed Mar 4 09:45:09 UTC 2015

If you decice upon the server-client architecture, you should take a look
at zeromq.
It is used extensively in IHaskell, so you can peek at the code there for a
working example.

Also, I believe a client-server architecture will be better as I personally
enjoy games a lot more when they are multi-player.
It makes the conversion from single-player to multi-player a
non-destructive (or atleast less destructive) process.

On 4 March 2015 at 15:02, Elise Huard <haskell at elisehuard.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to do the following: implementing a command-line interface
> to directly interact with the state or the parameters of a
> looping/running process (a game, to be specific).
>
> My first thought is to fork a thread, passing in a TChan/TVar or
> similar to enable communication, and to have the command-line
> interface on the thread (getLine or haskelline ...).
> Another option would be to have a bona fide server-client interface
> (with sockets or others), to fork a thread again to run the server and
> to connect using the client library - which would allow me to use ghci
> and have transparent serialization under the hood.
>
> Are there known use cases?  Am I missing something, for instance is it
> possible to interact with a running process directly using ghci?
> Any tips?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Elise

Regards