[Haskell-beginners] trying to install libraries for Haskell School of Expression

DJ jakep at arqux.com
Sun Mar 1 04:40:49 UTC 2015

Trying to install the package soegtk.

I am running linux mint 17 with the latest (as of Feb. 28) haskell
platform and cabal-install.

I did install gtk2hs-buildtools and put the .cabal/bin in my path.

Cannot install soegtk:

Failed to install glib-0.12.5.4
cairo-0.12.5.3 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
gio-0.12.5.3 depends on glib-0.12.5.4 which failed to install.
glib-0.12.5.4 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
gtk-0.12.5.7 depends on glib-0.12.5.4 which failed to install.
pango-0.12.5.3 depends on glib-0.12.5.4 which failed to install.
soegtk-0.12.1 depends on glib-0.12.5.4 which failed to install.

Confession: I abandoned Haskell two years ago because of frustration
with cabal and hackage. I decided to get back to the language today, and
to start with Haskell School of Expression. I immediately run into the
problem that the first thing I try to install with cabal does not work.

Thanks for any help. Please tell me things are not just as bad now as
they were when I left ;-)

- DJP -