[Haskell-beginners] help with IO guards

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Thu Jan 15 21:28:55 UTC 2015

I haven't seen anybody explain the real reasons you can't yank `a` out of
something of type `IO a`, so I thought I'd attempt to clear a few things up.

It's true that you cannot *in general* extract a value of type `a` from
something of type `Monad m => m a` but those reasons are *not* why you
can't in the case of IO. You can't with Monad in general because the
typeclass doesn't provide a method with the type `m a -> a`, in fact, it
only provides the opposite: `a -> m a`.

The real reason you can't pattern match on or otherwise extract values from
IO is that it's an abstract datatype - on purpose. The constructor is not
exported, the internals are hidden.

You are using a non-strict programming language. The IO datatype is how the
implementation knows not to replace the thunk with its value when evaluated.

Want to see what I mean?

Play with some code that uses
https://hackage.haskell.org/package/time-1.3/docs/Data-Time-Clock.html#v:getCurrentTime
to get the current time. Note how each time you force evaluation of the `IO
UTCTime` you're getting a new UTCTime each time. Then wrap it in
`unsafePerformIO` - it'll only get executed once. This is *definitely* not
the semantics you want, you're too new to know when you'd want the unsafe*
functions for now.

If you aren't comfortable with monads, no amount of thrashing is going to
let you avoid using Functor/Applicative/Monad if you want to interact with
values produced in IO.

I wrote a guide for learning Haskell, it covers Functor/Applicative/Monad
which are *everywhere* - not just for use with IO. This is the guide:
https://github.com/bitemyapp/learnhaskell

There are people used to teaching and assisting with the courses
recommended in my guide (cis194 & NICTA course) on Freenode IRC at
#haskell-beginners. There are tons of people equipped to help you in
#haskell as well.

--- Chris Allen