[Haskell-beginners] help with IO guards

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Jan 15 21:01:19 UTC 2015

f has the wrong type. It needs to return a value in the IO monad. For
instance:

f: String -> IO String
f s = return (s ++ "!")

g :: IO String
g = readLn >>= f

You could also let f return a value of a type other than String, say:

f :: String -> IO ()
f = print

The type of >>= tells you this: Monad m => m a -> (a -> m b) -> m b. The
second argument has type a -> m b. String -> IO () or String -> IO String
both match that.

As a warning, readLn expects a Haskell value, and f requires that it be a
string. So you have to type in a string the way you would in a program, as
"Hello" or ['H', 'e', 'l', 'l', 'o'] or you'll get a parse failure.