[Haskell-beginners] FFI Problems

Thomas Jakway tjakway at nyu.edu
Sat Feb 28 13:20:05 UTC 2015

I'm very new to Haskell and am trying to write a "real" program to
motivate myself to learn it better (so far I've only gotten through
Project Euler problems after reading LYAH and most of RWH).  I'm using
Taglib (https://github.com/taglib/taglib) to read the metadata from a
music file and print it.  I have a struct C-side (with C linkage)
serving as the bridge between Taglib's C++ and Haskell's FFI.  A small
demo program (compiled with gcc and linked against the C++ object files)
gives the correct results, but Haskell is weirdly only getting /some /of
it right.  Specifically, the C string fields are working but ints are not.

The output from the C demo (what Haskell should be printing):

music_metadata
title: It's My Life,    artist: Bon Jovi,    album: Bon Jovi Greatest
Hits - The Ultimate Collection
comment: ,    genre: Rock,    track: 3,
length: 224,    bitrate: 256,    channels: 2,
codec: 768

The output from Haskell:

MusicMetadata {codec = UNKNOWN, length = 1099511628000, bitrate =
8589934848, channels = 12884901890, track = 8589934848, title = "It's My
Life", artist = "Bon Jovi", album = "Bon Jovi Greatest Hits - The
Ultimate Collection", comment = "", genre = "Rock"}

I would have expected it to work or not work at all, but did not
anticipate getting only some of it right.

I was going to include snippets from my hsc file but given how new I am
to Haskell I don't trust myself to assume where the problem is, so sorry
if this is way too long:

{-# LANGUAGE CPP, ForeignFunctionInterface #-}

module MusicReader
( Codec,
   MusicMetadata,
   readMusicMetadata
) where

import Control.Monad
import Foreign
import Foreign.C.Types
import Foreign.C.String
import System.IO.Unsafe as Unsafe

#include "CodecDefines.h"
#include "MusicReader.h"

constantToCodec code
                     | code == mp3 = MP3
                     | code == flac = FLAC
                     | code == ogg = OGG_VORBIS
                     | code == mp4 = MP4
                     | code == mpeg = MPEG
                     | code == none = NONE
                     | code == unknown = UNKNOWN
                     | otherwise = UNKNOWN
                        where mp3 = #const MP3_CODEC
                              flac = #const FLAC_CODEC
                              ogg = #const OGG_VORBIS_CODEC
                              mp4 = #const MP4_CODEC
                              mpeg = #const MPEG_CODEC
                              none = #const NO_EXTENSION
                              unknown = #const UNKNOWN_EXTENSION

data Codec = MP3 | FLAC | OGG_VORBIS | MP4 | MPEG | NONE | UNKNOWN
deriving (Show)

data MusicMetadata = MusicMetadata { codec :: Codec,
                       length :: Int,
                       bitrate :: Int,
                       channels :: Int,
                       track :: Int,
                       title :: String,
                       artist :: String,
                       album :: String,
                       comment :: String,
                       genre :: String } deriving (Show)

instance Storable MusicMetadata where
     sizeOf _ = (#size struct music_metadata)
     alignment _ = alignment (undefined::CDouble)
     peek a = do
         codec <- liftM constantToCodec $ (((#peek struct
music_metadata, codec) a) :: IO Int)
         length <- ((#peek struct music_metadata, length) a) :: IO Int
         bitrate <- ((#peek struct music_metadata, bitrate) a) :: IO Int
         channels <- ((#peek struct music_metadata, channels) a) :: IO Int
         track <- ((#peek struct music_metadata, bitrate) a) :: IO Int
         title <-  ((#peek struct music_metadata, title) a) :: IO CString
         artist <- ((#peek struct music_metadata, artist) a) :: IO CString
         album <- ((#peek struct music_metadata, album) a) :: IO CString
         comment <- ((#peek struct music_metadata, comment) a) :: IO CString
         genre <- ((#peek struct music_metadata, genre) a) :: IO CString
         --FIXME: find replacement for temporary names
         marshalledTitle <- peekCString title
         marshalledArtist <- peekCString artist
         marshalledAlbum <- peekCString album
         marshalledComment <- peekCString comment
         marshalledGenre <- peekCString genre
         return (MusicMetadata codec length bitrate channels track
marshalledTitle marshalledArtist marshalledAlbum marshalledComment
marshalledGenre)
     poke a = undefined

--This is the "primitive" FFI call--calls the C function and gets a pointer
--in return
--TODO: write a higher level function this module should export that calls
--primReadMusicMetadata and converts the C Pointer into the Haskell data
--MusicMetadata
foreign import ccall unsafe "read_metadata" primReadMusicMetadata ::
CString -> IO (Ptr MusicMetadata)

--convert the Haskell string to a CString, call into the FFI then
--dereference the resulting pointer
readMusicMetadata a = join $ withCString a $ \cs -> ((liftM peek) $
primReadMusicMetadata cs)

Here's the struct in MusicReader.h (in an extern C block):
     struct music_metadata
     {
         int codec;
         int length,
                 bitrate,
                 channels;
         int track;
         char *title,
              *artist,
              *album,
              *comment,
              *genre;
     };

with the corresponding call:
     struct music_metadata* read_metadata(char*);

I've tried playing around with the alignment but it didn't do anything.
I also tried declaring the struct's fields as int32_t which also did
nothing.

The C demo in question is a very simple:

#include <stdio.h>
#include "MusicReader.h"

#define FILENAME "Its_My_Life.m4a"

int main()
{
     struct music_metadata* metadata = read_metadata(FILENAME);
     printf("music_metadata\ntitle: %s,\tartist: %s,\talbum: %s\n",
             metadata->title, metadata->artist, metadata->album);
     printf("comment: %s,\tgenre: %s,\ttrack: %d,\n",
             metadata->comment, metadata->genre, metadata->track);
     printf("length: %d,\tbitrate: %d,\tchannels: %d,\n",
             metadata->length, metadata->bitrate, metadata->channels);
     printf("codec: %d\n");

}

It just reads the metadata into the struct and prints the fields.

I've gotten the impression of the Haskell FFI being very
beginner-unfriendly, which isn't surprising but still disappointing
because it would be a great opportunity to replace some projects with
Haskell.

Any help is appreciated, including general feedback on my code!