[Haskell-beginners] Fwd: tower hanoi problem

Joel Neely joel.neely at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 15:50:22 UTC 2015

I personally find the assertion more confusing than helpful. Interpreting a
pattern of "x:xs" as "acknowledging the base case" by eliminating it first
reads to me as a double negative: "if it is not the case that this list
does not have a first element" or some such.

I simply prefer to read it as a positive assertion: the list has a head,
and here's what to do with it.

To my eye, this also scales nicely when there are multiple terminal cases.
Here's a tiny example.

Given a list of fractional numbers, produce a smoothed list, where each
value is averaged with its immediate neighbors (except the first and last,
which fail to have both neighbors), as shown below.

[0.0,4.0,2.0,6.0,1.0,2.0]
[    2.0,4.0,3.0,3.0    ]

It seems natural to my eye to express this as, "A list with at least three
elements contributes a value to the result", as in:

smooth :: Fractional n => [n] -> [n]
smooth (a:z@(b:c:_)) = (a + b + c) / 3 : smooth z
smooth _             = []

I prefer this to the alternatives (at least the ones that I came up with)
that either explicitly compute the length to compare it to 3, or that
explicitly fret over the (multiple!) cases that terminate the recursion.

smooth' :: Fractional n => [n] -> [n]
smooth' []            = []
smooth' [_]           = []
smooth' [_,_]         = []
smooth' (a:z@(b:c:_)) = (a + b + c) / 3 : smooth' z

I don't care for having to wade through three terminal cases to get to the
one that interests me, for multiple reasons:

   - It strikes my eye as visual noise that offers no useful information
   compared to the first (shorter) solution.
   - Depending on the intelligence of the compiler, it may waste run time
   by testing for cases that will only be true near the end of a long argument
   list.
   - I can argue termination by observing that the recursive evaluation (smooth
   z) is made on a shorter argument.
   - In a lazy language, termination may not be an issue!

Evaluating

*Main> take 10 $ smooth [0,1..]
[1.0,2.0,3.0,4.0,5.0,6.0,7.0,8.0,9.0,10.0]

works just fine without smooth having to arrive at the end of its argument.

Again, tastes may vary.

I haven't thought of a way to do this with a fold or comprehension that
seems as clear to me. I would be interested in seeing such a solution if
someone else sees a way to do it.

-jn-