[Haskell-beginners] Cabal reset/restart

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Sun Feb 1 03:13:02 UTC 2015

I did a complete reset and restart of Haskell & Cabal, and trying to re-install my former packages on a new clean system, most went easily but there are already a number which would not install. (Deleted .ghc, .cabal, and .sandbox; reinstalled Platform).

1) "ghc-pkg check" indicates a lot of issues (although most seemed to be warnings about missing .hi or haddock html files).

Many seem to be related to looking for older versions, e.g. it complains that:

  There are problems in package Win32-2.2.2.0:

  Warning: library-dirs: E:\Plang\Haskell Platform\lib\Win32-2.2.2.0 doesn't exist or isn't a directory

  Warning: include-dirs: E:\Plang\Haskell Platform\lib\Win32-2.2.2.0\include doesn't exist or isn't a directory

  import-dirs: E:\Plang\Haskell Platform\lib\Win32-2.2.2.0 doesn't exist or isn't a directory

  cannot find any of ["libHSWin32-2.2.2.0.a","libHSWin32-2.2.2.0.p_a","libHSWin32-2.2.2.0-ghc7.8.3.so","libHSWin32-2.2.2.0- ghc7.8.3.dylib","HSWin32-2.2.2.0-ghc7.8.3.dll"] on library path

And indeed it is not there, but Win32-2.3.0.2 is present, and similarly for most all others that I see.

So why are these being reported as problems, and what to do?

2) cabal install of several of my previous packages fails; is there just some intrinsic incompatibility of these packages, or some other error?

An example:

    C:\Users\myUser\.cabal-sandbox>cabal install cgi

    Resolving dependencies...

    In order, the following would be installed:

    exceptions-0.6.1 (reinstall) changes: mtl-2.1.3.1 -> 2.2.1,

    transformers-0.3.0.0 -> 0.4.2.0

    network-2.6.0.2 (new version)

    cgi-3001.2.2.0 (new version)

    cabal: The following packages are likely to be broken by the reinstalls:

    temporary-1.2.0.3

    ghc-mod-5.2.1.2

    either-4.3.3

    monad-journal-0.7

    Use --force-reinstalls if you want to install anyway.

3) ghc-pkg check indicates a lot of broken packages for a new installation, Although all those that I checked of these are from old versioning as above, and there really is a good and more current version installed:

The following packages are broken, either because they have a problem listed above, or because they depend on a broken package.

Win32-2.2.2.0

time-1.4

template-haskell-2.7.0.0

regex-base-0.93.2