[Haskell-beginners] Doubts about functional programming paradigm

emacstheviking objitsu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 09:58:24 UTC 2015

I'm firmly with Derek.. we should teach people things like maps, folds and
generic recursion instead of subjecting them to stuff like Java or C++. I'm
not starting a war here, just stating that after 30+ years in software,
mentoring and helping people learn... that, like teaching your kid to read
or play guitar... the magic just happens. They learn and you don't know how
they learned but they take it in and build on it.

By not clouding impressionable learning minds with the gory details for for
loops and such like but instead immediately beginning their programming
lives with maps folds and recursion I think we would be raising the level
of goodness... then maybe Haskell would be taught in schools!

I taught myself prolog a year or three back...thanks to my FP skills,
concepts like recursion were a done deal and backtracking was not that hard
to take on board. Maybe we should teach Prolog as the first language people
ever learn!

Regarding language pragmas. Yes!!! A complete hitch-hikers guide with
information examples would be good. I have often tried to work with code I
find only realise that the author had used the "automatically munge strings
to be the right type" option and not mentioned it.

Whatever. Haskell started in '98, it's 2016 now... it's going to last!

:)
Sean