[Haskell-beginners] Trouble understanding the type of sequence [Just, Just]

Chas Leichner chas at chas.io
Sat Dec 12 20:43:25 UTC 2015

The type of just is (a -> Maybe a) so your list has type [a -> Maybe a]
which means the Monad instance that sequence is using isn't Maybe, it's (a
->), the type constructor for function types with its first parameter
partially applied. This means that the type of sequence specialized to this
context uses [] for t, the Traversable and (a ->) for m, the Monad. That is
to say sequence :: [a -> Maybe a] -> (a -> [Maybe a]). (a ->) is one way of
representing the Reader monad so you can treat its a parameter as a context
that computations can run inside. That means that sequence [Just, Just]
takes two functions that construct a Maybe value from the value in the
context and turns it into a function which constructs a list of Maybe
values each one fed from the same context. That is to say that (sequence
[Just, Just] $ 4) == [Just 4, Just 4].