[Haskell-beginners] Doubts about functional programming paradigm

Dimitri DeFigueiredo defigueiredo at ucdavis.edu
Sat Dec 12 00:56:48 UTC 2015

+1 for composable concurrency through STM. It multiplies programmer
effectiveness many times when doing concurrent programming. I now
consider threads, condition variables and locks "cruel and unusual
punishment".

However, the learning curve in Haskell is not a small problem. It is
*the* crucial problem with the language. I believe it is exactly what
will prevent the language for becoming mainstream in the foreseeable
future (e.g. 10 years). Consider a snippet of an error message from GHC
that previously appeared in this list

Couldn't match expected type ‘r’ with actual type ‘COParseResult’
       ‘r’ is a rigid type variable bound by
           the type signature for
getParseResult :: ParseResult r => String -> IO r

I have a PhD in computer science, but never really liked programming
languages back then and somehow I never learned what a "rigid type
variable" is. I was happily chugging along until I came to haskell and
was confronted with this error message. Does one have to be a type
theorist to make sense of this error message? Strictly speaking, I am
complaining about GHC not haskell. But would anyone care to explain to a
novice in a couple paragraphs why foldl (+) 0 [1..10^9] may take 10 Gigs
of RAM to calculate?

My advice to anyone who wants to learn haskell is to join social groups
as we are not yet ready to teach it through books. I frequently have to
go read academic papers to learn new topics. That shows me that the
knowledge used to build the language simply has not been digested enough
to be easily accessible to the average programmer.

Summarizing,

Learning Haskell: It will be a bumpy ride, but there *is* a happy ending.

Cheers,

Dimitri