[Haskell-beginners] Doubts about functional programming paradigm

Abhishek Kumar abhishekkmr18 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 15:07:19 UTC 2015

I am a beginner in haskell.I have heard a lot about haskell being great for
parallel programming and concurrency but couldn't understand why?Aren't
iterative algorithms like MapReduce more suitable to run parallely?Also how
immutable data structures add to speed?I'm having trouble understanding
very philosophy of functional programming, how do we gain by writing
everything as functions and pure code(without side effects)?
Any links or references will be a great help.
Thanks
Abhishek Kumar