[Haskell-beginners] filterM function

Sylvain Henry hsyl20 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 12:08:45 UTC 2015

You need to understand:
1) do-notation
2) Monad instance for List

1) do-notation is just syntactic sugar around (>>=) Monad operator. So:

filterM p (x:xs) = p x >>= \flg -> filterM p xs >>= \ys -> if flg then
x:ys else ys

2) Monad instance for List:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.8.0.0/docs/src/GHC-Base.html#line-726

In particular: xs >>= f = [y | x <- xs, y <- f x]
or the equivalent: xs >>= f = concatMap f xs

-- filterM specialized for []
filterM :: (a -> [Bool]) -> [a] -> [[a]]
filterM _ [] = [[]]
filterM p (x:xs) = concatMap (\flg -> concatMap (\ys -> [if flg then
x:ys else ys]) (filterM p xs)) (p x)

powerset :: [a] -> [[a]]
powerset xs  = filterM (\x -> [True, False]) xs

i.e.
powerset [] = [[]]
powerset (x:xs)  = concatMap (\flg -> concatMap (\ys -> [if flg then
x:ys else ys]) (powerset xs)) [True,False]

i.e.
powerset [] = [[]]
powerset (x:xs)  = concatMap (\flg -> fmap (\ys -> if flg then x:ys
else ys) (powerset xs)) [True,False]

i.e.
powerset [] = [[]]
powerset (x:xs)  = let ys = powerset xs in fmap (x:) ys ++ ys

I would directly use the latter form instead of using filterM to
implement powerset.

Sylvain