[Haskell-beginners] Patch source, then pickup compile

James Toll james at jtoll.com
Sat Sep 20 06:06:09 UTC 2014

On Sep 20, 2014, at 12:04 AM, James Toll <james at jtoll.com> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2014, at 11:05 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 12:01 AM, James Toll <james at jtoll.com> wrote:
>> [james ~/src/haskell/sandboxes/hakyll/pandoc-1.13.1]$ cabal install -j
>> Resolving dependencies...
>> In order, the following will be installed:
>>
>> This sounds like it did not indeed install in the sandbox (compare the notice after "Resolving dependencies" in the hakyll install). Unfortunately I don't know what follows from here; it sounds like a cabal bug to me, but maybe being in the patched pandoc source directory keeps it from seeing the sandbox, in which case maybe there's an option to point to a specific sandbox for installs? (I still don't have a working Haskell install on my new machine, and am not sure at this point when I'll be able to get to it, sigh.)
>

> Thank you for the help. I wonder if I need to set this up as a shared sandbox so that pandoc gets installed to the sandbox in the parent directory.  Kind of like the first example from the “Advanced usage” section of:
>
> http://coldwa.st/e/blog/2013-08-20-Cabal-sandbox.html

Creating a shared sandbox ended up working.  I don’t know it that’s the proper way to do this kind of thing.  For reference, here is what I did to get Hakyll installed with the broken Pandoc dependency:

$ mkdir hakyll
$ cd hakyll
$ cabal sandbox init --sandbox .
$ cabal install -j hakyll
[compilation fails at Pandoc]
$ cabal get pandoc-1.13.1
$ cd pandoc-1.13.1/
$ cabal sandbox init --sandbox ../
[make trivial source change]
$ cabal install -j
$ cd ..
$ cabal install -j hakyll

I’ve not tested the Hakyll installation yet to see if it works properly, but the installation succeeded.

James