[Haskell-beginners] Problem with installing SDL

Patrick Wheeler patrick.john.wheeler at gmail.com
Thu May 8 22:43:41 UTC 2014

The error is saying that it can not find `typeOf` in the `Typeable` class.
 This is because that function is not longer part of the `Typeable` in
ghc7.8 and moving forward.  Error like this are still be sorted out for ghc
7.8.  You are on a bleeding edge version of ghc so packaging problems like
this are expected.  Package stability is usually marked by when the Haskell
Platform updates to the new ghc version.

So if you want additional stability HP is where it is at. If you want to
live and the bleeding edge then you can download sdl with cabal unpack and
see if you can not fix the problem for yourself.

Here is a link to the `Typeable` module in base:
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.7.0.0/docs/Data-Typeable.htmlOf

There is replacement function for backward compatibility.
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/base-4.7.0.0/docs/Data-Typeable.html#v:typeOf

If you fixed the import statement for all of the sdl modules, you might fix
the incompatibility with the new Typeable.  There will probably be a few
other issues that need solving after this one. I have updated several
packages on a case by case basis when I need them to new ghc version and
has been a lesson in understanding ghc errors and fixing them. If you have
the time I recommend giving it a shot.

Patrick

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Julian Drube <jdrube at mail.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i'm trying to install the SDL package with:
>
> cabal install sdl
>
> but the following error is showing up:
>
> Graphics/UI/SDL/Events.hsc:56:23:
>     Module ‘Data.Typeable’ does not export ‘Typeable(typeOf)’
> SDL-0.6.5 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
> ExitFailure 1
>

> GHC version is 7.8.2
>

> Thanks in advance for any ideas
> Julian