[Haskell-beginners] rolling my own split

abraham polishchuk apolishc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 04:41:03 UTC 2014

I am relatively new to Haskell, having spent the last half a decade or so
developing in Ruby. I am attempting to (for the sake of exercise) implement
a split function from the ground up in Haskell, and for the life of me I
can not figure out why it doesn't work. Without further ado:

    module MyAwesomeModule where

    import qualified Data.Text as T

    outputSplit :: String -> [String] -> IO ()
    outputSplit s tokens = print $ splitRecursive tokens s

    splitRecursive :: [String] -> String -> [String]
    splitRecursive tokens s = splitOneOf tokens s

    splitOneOf :: [String] -> String -> [String]
    splitOneOf [] s = []
    splitOneOf (t:tokens) s =  map (splitOneOf tokens)(map (T.unpack)
(T.splitOn (T.pack t) (T.pack s))) ++ (splitOneOf tokens s)

which errors out with:
   Couldn't match type `[Char]' with `Char'
    Expected type: String -> String
      Actual type: String -> [String]
    In the return type of a call of `splitOneOf'
    In the first argument of `map', namely `(splitOneOf tokens)'
    In the first argument of `(++)', namely
      `map
         (splitOneOf tokens)
         (map (T.unpack) (T.splitOn (T.pack t) (T.pack s)))'
Failed, modules loaded: none.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be awesome! And yes, I'm aware of
Data.List.Split, like I said, trying to roll my own....