[Haskell-beginners] emacs + ghc-mod + cabal repl

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 12:22:52 UTC 2014

On 19/03/14 10:53, Miguel Negrão wrote:
> Em 18-03-2014 18:47, Miguel Negrão escreveu:
>
> Following that, a couple more questions:
>
> Is it possible to have the haddock help for functions displayed inside
> emacs (no browser) ?

Not that I know of. GHCi doesn't support it (yet, maybe it will in the
future) and Haskell interface files don't store this information so
various tools can't get at it. I'm not aware of any tools that read the
Haddock interface files and give you the docs that way. If
someone/myself decides to go through with putting the Haddock strings
into .hi files, reading documentation in your editor might become
possible but I wouldn't hold my breath as it is completely in the ‘it'd
be cool if we had this’ stage.

> How does one jump to the defition of a symbol ?

I use hasktags to generate the TAGS table and then use find-tag (bound
to M-.) to jump to things. It works fine but it does tend to screw up
sometimes. Of course it will only work if your definition is in the
generated table, it won't do things like jumping to definitions in the
libraries you use etc. I imagine that you could have a massive TAGS
table generated from all your sources but I doubt it'd scale very well
and would be close to impossible to maintain.

It'd be great if we had something like Agda, where all the source is
available so we can jump to anything at all, but we don't.

> thanks,
> Miguel

Mateusz K.