[Haskell-beginners] backtracking search and memory usage

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Sat Mar 15 16:08:43 UTC 2014

Let's look at the requirements for this problem, uncovering some of the
unspoken ones:

1. very general problem
2. fast, or at least not too slow
3. memory-efficient
4. correct

Leaving aside performance issues 2 and 3, is it possible that 1 and 4 alone
are enough to deliver plenty of heartburn?

I can think of at least one class of problems: the enumeration and
application of choices lead to cyclical states. Hence resulting in a list
of solutions pockmarked with bottoms.

I mean your backtrack function is a correct and succinct description of the
very notion of backtracking. The devil is in the details of state design,
including the enumeration and application issues I've described.

By narrowing the scope of the problem so that you first obtain a library
that correctly solves it, you could then focus on performance issues.

-- Kim-Ee