[Haskell-beginners] Gnome's FLOSS Outreach Program for Women and Google Summer of Code Opportunities

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Sat Mar 15 11:51:36 UTC 2014

On 15/03/14 11:30, Kẏra wrote:
> Oh wow, I didn't see it because i searched for 'haskell' in the tags, not
> the name of the org!
>
> Do you know if they are open to beginners applying?
>

> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 6:16 AM, Mateusz Kowalczyk
> <fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> On 15/03/14 08:52, Kẏra wrote:
>>> Are there any participating organizations in OPW or GSoC providing
>>> opportunities to gain Haskell experience? It would be great to see more
>>> Haskell projects participate in this

>> Haskell is part of GSoC this year if that's what you're asking. We're
>> currently at the proposal stage. No idea about OPW.
>>
>> --
>> Mateusz K.

If you don't know the language to the point where you can write
something of benefit to the community then I doubt that your proposal
will be accepted, unless it's something really special. There's a
section where you list your experience on the proposal template.

Basically, if you don't know Haskell at all, it's unlikely that you can
come up with a proposal that will be deemed satisfactory and justifying
a 3 month project. After all, if someone more experienced can do it in
few evenings, it's quite a waste of a slot to accept such a project.

If you *do* have a project which would benefit the Haskell community and
you think you can complete it in 3 months (and that it's not the case of
few evenings for anyone slightly experienced) then please do ask around.
It really depends what you mean by ‘beginner’. Obviously not only people
with 15 years of industrial experience with Haskell are accepted but
someone who is only looking to learn the language will probably not do.

We have some proposals bouncing around on the haskell-cafe mailing list.
There is just over 6 days left for them so if you have a proposal, it's
probably worthwhile to get feedback on it ASAP.

We also have #haskell-gsoc channel on Freenode where you can ask questions.

Hope that clears it up. Please note that I'm not speaking for the whole
organisation but merely as an individual.

--
Mateusz K.