[Haskell-beginners] Functions in "where" block.

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Sun Jun 15 23:39:33 UTC 2014

On 06/12/2014 04:21 AM, Kim-Ee Yeoh wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 8:54 AM, Venu Chakravorty <c.venu at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> fun.hs:4:15: parse error on input `='
>>

> The problem wasn't obvious until I copy-pasted it into an editor:
>
> You have tabs instead of spaces for the line defining ep.
>
> The rule of thumb is that your editor must expand all tabs into matching
> spaces for whitespace-sensitive languages like haskell. Or else you'll
> waste time with this kind of parsing errors.
>
> -- Kim-Ee

For reference, GHC treats hard tabs as 8 spaces.

Even in my mail client the problem is quite apparent[1].

Set your editor to use spaces only. I think [2] is the standard
reference for whitespace style.

[1]: http://fuuzetsu.co.uk/images/1402875503.png
[2]: http://urchin.earth.li/~ian/style/haskell.html
--