[Haskell-beginners] Question on Lazy IO

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu Jul 24 07:54:33 UTC 2014

My biggest recommendation would be not to use lazy I/O. But excluding
that...

You just need to make sure that as much of the input is actually received
before sending a response. You do that by forcing evaluation of the thunk.
With lazy I/O, forcing evaluation ends up causing I/O to be performed,
which is what you want in this case. As an example, to make sure that at
least one character is received before continuing, you could use this
function:

getSomeContents = do
  x <- getContents
  case x of
    [] -> return x
    _:_ -> return x

Another possibility is to use *some* strict I/O. For example, you can get
the first character strictly and the rest lazily:

getSomeContents = do
  c <- getChar
  x <- getContents
  return $ c : x

Something else you should think about is what data representation you want
to use. Everything we've done here using String, which is (1) inefficient,
since it's an unpacked representation, and (2) incorrect, since HTTP data
is really a series of bytes, not a series of unicode code points. But I'm
going on the assumption that this exercise is more to understand I/O
evaluation.