[Haskell-beginners] Are functors in Haskell always injective?

Julian Birch julian.birch at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 10:51:10 UTC 2014

(Another beginner here)

That's my understanding too.  Functors in Haskell have to operate on the
whole of Hask, which isn't true of functors in general.  Equally, they have
to map to a subset of Haskell (although that mapping could be isomorphic to
Hask e.g. Identity Functor).  It's the first restriction that's the most
problematic, since it prevents set from being a Functor.  This is fixable (
http://okmij.org/ftp/Haskell/RestrictedMonad.lhs) but not part of "standard
Haskell".  The second restriction basically just means you've got to do
some book-keeping to get back to the original type.

Julian