[Haskell-beginners] Failure to install cabal-install.

Derek Mahar derek.mahar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 18:20:45 UTC 2014

How can I tell the Haskell compiler where to find module
Control.Monad.Error?  After building GHC 7.6.3 and Haskell Platform 2013.2
on Red Hat Linux 6, I found that 'cabal install cabal-install' fails when
it attempts to build library HTTP-4000.2.11 because the Haskell compiler
cannot find module Control.Monad.Error.

* Installation completed successfully.
*
* Programs installed into:
*   /usr/local/bin
*
* Now do "cabal update" to initialize the package list
*
* Additional packages may be found at http://hackage.haskell.org
* or via "cabal list <pattern>"
*
* Use "cabal install <foo>" to install additional packages
*
[dmahar at dmahar haskell-platform-2013.2.0.0]$ cabal update
Downloading the latest package list from hackage.haskell.org
Note: there is a new version of cabal-install available.
To upgrade, run: cabal install cabal-install
[dmahar at dmahar haskell-platform-2013.2.0.0]$ cabal install cabal-install
Resolving dependencies...
Configuring HTTP-4000.2.11...
Building HTTP-4000.2.11...
Preprocessing library HTTP-4000.2.11...

Network/Stream.hs:35:8:
    Could not find module `Control.Monad.Error'
    There are files missing in the `mtl-2.1.2' package,
    try running 'ghc-pkg check'.
    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
Failed to install HTTP-4000.2.11
HTTP-4000.2.11 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
ExitFailure 1
cabal-install-1.18.0.2 depends on HTTP-4000.2.11 which failed to install.

Thank you,

Derek