[Haskell-beginners] 2014 haskell cabal update hangs on mac

Madhu Babu madhub.bits at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 04:51:27 UTC 2014

I initially installed haskell platform ( 2013 version; 7.6.3 ghc ) on my
mac. Everything was working great. Just now saw the haskell platform
website again and found new version was released ( Haskell Platform
2014.2.0.0 for Mac OS X, 64bit ). I installed it, and un-installed the
older version using uninstall-hs.

Now when i type "cabal" or "cabal update" on my terminal, it hangs.
Actually when i look into Activity Monitor, i can see that it is invoking
some "sh script & possibly some find command" infinitely. I initially guess
may be it is building some indexes. but it has been running for an hr or so.

I have Xcode 5, gcc and other command line tools installed properly

Please advice. I cannot install any other package using cabal.