[Haskell-beginners] How to Update Cabal?

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Wed Apr 30 18:19:26 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 07:40:10PM +0200, Norbert Melzer wrote:
> Probably one needs to ensure that ~/.cabal/bin is in the PATH-variable
> before the path that cabal normally lives in. Alternatively you have to use
> sudo and the --global switch for cabal (not recommended).

*If* you ever have to install something globally with cabal, note that
you should use

  cabal install --global --root-cmd=sudo

and NOT 'sudo cabal install --global'.  This is so that cabal will
only take root privileges for the actual copying/installation, and not
pollute your package cache, etc. with files owned by root.

*But* as Norbert says (and I strongly agree), it is not recommended to
use --global with cabal, unless you know what you are doing and
why.

-Brent