[Haskell-beginners] development workflow ?

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 17:12:10 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 4:41 PM, John M. Dlugosz
<ngnr63q02 at sneakemail.com>wrote:

> If you're working on a Haskell project that includes packages, and the
> packages are in subdirectories of the source tree, how do you "build"?
>
> In my case, I want to alter the "gloss" package so I unpacked it, changed
> the name to "customgloss" in the .cabal file, and installed.  Meanwhile, I
> used the package-quallified import GHC feature.

While that's not the question you asked, I note that you unpacked gloss
which probably means "cabal unpack gloss" (?). This is in general a
terrible idea because the latest released version may not be up to the
development version and if you want to work sanely, you'll have to put this
code in revision control, and you won't use the same as the author and so
on... So when you send a patch he may not be able to simply apply it to his
latest version and then it'll sit forgotten in his mail box and your work
will be lost for the community (ok, I may be overdoing it here...).

So the sane alternative is to check on the hackage page if a repository is
specified, like here : "git clone https://github.com/benl23x5/gloss" will
get you the latest and greatest, already in revision control and facilitate
the creation of a pull request in the future (in fact if you have a github
account, it's even better to go to this page and fork his repo to have your
own version on github).

--
Jedaï