[Haskell-beginners] annoying precedence of unary negate

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Apr 28 04:24:47 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 10:59:27PM -0500, John M. Dlugosz wrote:

> 	[ ⋯ , translate (-50) 0 $ color green $ Circle 50 , ⋯]
>
> The parens around -50 are necessary.
> Is there a more elegant way to write it?
>
> Without the parens, I don't understand what the compiler sees it as, based
> on the error message.  How does the compiler parse it in that case?

It most likely  sees it as the binary minus rather than the unary minus.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

The results point out the fragility of programmer expertise: advanced
programmers have strong expectations about what programs should look like,
and when those expectations are violated--in seemingly innocuous
ways--their performance drops drastically.
     -- Elliot Soloway and Kate Ehrlich