[Haskell-beginners] How to build a package?

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Wed Apr 23 13:01:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:52:04 +0200, John M. Dlugosz
<ngnr63q02 at sneakemail.com> wrote:

> I used cabal unpack to get the source of a package to read.  Now I want
> to make a change.   How do I tell Haskell Platform to make that (the
> same way cabal knows how to) and do so with the provided files rather
> than downloading into temp.
> I got a package to work before using Leksah, but I'd like to do it
> directly since the cabal file is present and works just fine.

Go to the directory where the .cabal file is, and type
   cabal install
without a package name.

> A related issue: what should I do about the local copy of a module name
> that is also installed?  Can I make my project use that instead, without
> having to globally change the name in all the files?

You can use a GHC extension, to specify the package to use, see
   http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/syntax-extns.html
look for
   Package-qualified imports

Regards,