[Haskell-beginners] Nonsensical behavior with http-conduit, httpLbs

Christopher Allen cma at bitemyapp.com
Thu Apr 10 05:41:28 UTC 2014

Repro'd on GHC 7.8.1 and 7.6.3

Original code is: https://github.com/bitemyapp/bloodhound/

The code only works if I manually (out of band) run insertData (in a REPL)
and then run main with the insertData invocation stripped out. If I run
main with the insertData invocation included, it throws an exception (head)
because the search results are empty.

The behavior is as if queryTweet was executing after insertData deleted the
index, but before it inserted the new data.

The following is a stripped down example:

insertData :: IO ()
insertData = do
  let encoded = encode exampleTweet
  _ <- deleteExampleIndex
  created <- createExampleIndex
  docCreated <- indexDocument (Server "http://localhost:9200") "twitter"
"tweet" exampleTweet "1"
  print "test"
  return ()
el
queryTweet :: IO (Either String Tweet)
queryTweet = do
  let queryFilter = BoolFilter (MustMatch (Term "user" "bitemyapp") False)
                    <||> IdentityFilter
  let search = Search Nothing (Just queryFilter)
  reply <- searchByIndex testServer "twitter" search
  let result = eitherDecode (responseBody reply) :: Either String
(SearchResult Tweet)
  let myTweet = fmap (hitSource . head . hits . searchHits) result
  return myTweet

main :: IO ()
main = do
  _ <- insertData
  myTweet <- queryTweet
  print myTweet

further up the call chain, the http call is getting dispatched with
http-conduit's gear, the result returned with the expression:

withManager $ httpLbs req

Included this in case it affects the semantics.

Can anybody help? This has stumped me for a couple hours and I couldn't get
anything clueful on IRC.

Thanks to any that help.

--- Chris