[Haskell-beginners] Thrashed again by cabal and libraries...

emacstheviking objitsu at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 17:52:37 CEST 2013

I am wanting to use GLFW-b with Haskell on Mountain Lion. However, I think
I have done something wrong along the way.

I end up with "GLFW.initialize" not found when cabal tries to link and I
suspect it is some kind of version conflict going on.

Question: when I "cabal-dev install GLFW-b", how does the build process
know where to find the headers to build with? I installed the latest GLFW
(3.0.2) from the site and built them on the mac and I was not aware of
telling cabal where to look but yet it still built and installed GLFW-b
somehow.

Presumably it looked in /usr/include i.e. all the usual places and was
satisfied enough to have built something.

When I "cabal install" my project however it just keeps saying it can't
find "GLFW.initialize" which means either it can't find any library to link
against or it can't find that function in a library it is finding.

I completely uninstalled GHC/Platform from my Mac to prepare for this
project and so far I have got nowhere!

So, any suggestions on how to make cabal look in a specific folder to
resolve header files and the library I built would be most welcome as I
don't know that much about passing low level compiler and linker flags to
it....I am about to learn.

All the best.
Sean.