[Haskell-beginners] Pattern match(es) are overlapped ... but I do not see that they do

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Sun Sep 1 01:12:16 CEST 2013

Hello Nathan,

The problem is that because these "numbers" are actually
variable names, Haskell is not pattern matching against the
number; it is actually binding the result type to the variable.
You might as well have written:

>      case res of
>        x -> return False
>        x -> return True
>        x -> do

which of course is overlapping.

There are a few ways to rewrite your program, but my recommendation
would be to define an abstract data type which encodes the three
choices, and pattern match against that.

Edward

Excerpts from Nathan Hüsken's message of Sat Aug 31 15:46:01 -0700 2013: