[Haskell-beginners] cabal issues

emacstheviking objitsu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 19:47:54 UTC 2013

Fresh install via homebrew on osx, brew doctor reports no problems.

After installing ghc and cabal-install I then tried a cabal update and it
failed because of permissions issues in the ~/.cabal folder

I fixed that as stated on the brew site and tried again, no joy...

Last 10 lines of the build log (
/Users/seancharles/.cabal/logs/OpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0.log ):
cabal: /Users/seancharles/.cabal/logs/OpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0.log: permission
denied

I also did a Verify and Repair from Disk Utilities just in case, that fixed
some things but no this.

Have I done something wrong or is there an issue with cabal because every
time I do a cabal update it seems to me the problem keeps coming back?!?!
This is very frustrating because I initially installed the latest Haskell
Platform for OSX .pkg file and had exactly the same problems.

Sometimes I despair at how hard it seems to get a working Haskell
installation...I never have these problems on Linux, only OSX and I don't
know why!

Thanks in advance.
Sean.

Some information (I did notice that seancharles:staff and seancharles:admin
are in existence) that may help. I have no idea about :staff and :admin,
not seen that before!

all of the log file:
Installing library in
/Users/seancharles/.cabal/lib/x86_64-osx-ghc-7.6.3/OpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0
setup-Cabal-1.16.0-x86_64-osx-ghc-7.6.3: dist/build/HSOpenGLRaw-1.4.0.0.o:
permission denied

ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.6.3

Seans-iMac:~ seancharles$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 1.18.0.2
using version 1.18.1 of the Cabal library

Folder permissions:

drwxr-xr-x    9 seancharles  staff      306 12 Oct 20:37 .cabal

brew folder:

drwxr-xr-x    6 seancharles  admin    204 12 Oct 20:34 Cellar