[Haskell-beginners] ghci and module with FFI code

Brandon Allbery allbery.b
Fri Oct 4 15:22:37 UTC 2013

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Nathan H?sken <nathan.huesken at posteo.de>wrote:

> Works fine! But when I try to load a module using it in ghci, and run an
> function (which is unrelated to the FFI bindings) I get:
>
> /lib/hsVigraRF-0.1.0.0/ghc-7.**6.2/HShsVigraRF-0.1.0.0.o: unknown symbol
> `_ZGVZN5vigra10rf_**defaultEvE6result'
>
> _ZGVZN5vigra10rf_**defaultEvE6result is a symbol from vigra.
> So why do I get this in ghci and not when compiling/running? What can I do
> about this?

Becaue ghci's symbol resolution is an ugly hack in released versions of
ghc. The next ghc release redoes ghci to use the system linker instead of a
built-in hack, and fixes many of these issues; you can wait for its release
or build ghc HEAD.