[Haskell-beginners] Q 2 of 2: GUI and turnkey compiler?

Hans Georg Schaathun georg+haskell at schaathun.net
Fri May 31 08:58:48 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 06:54:54PM -0400, Gan Uesli Starling wrote:
> Perl and Python both have GUI interfaces, which are handy for
> publishing little give-away apps, as I used to do quite a lot in
> Perl/Tk and also in ancient of days on JForth.

Do you mean a GUI library?  Or a GUI interface to the interpreter?

There are plenty of GUI libraries.  _Real World Haskell_ from
O'Reilly presents one approach, and is otherwise a good read at
http://book.realworldhaskell.org

>                                                Also to make
> give-away apps, there needs to be a turn-key compiler,

The glasgow haskell compiler (ghc) is a compiler.

>                                                        something
> into which I'd feed code and out would come an *.exe (albeit quite
> bloated in size)

well, you can always rename the file to *.exe or whatever else you
want.  I cannot see how that's relevant.

--
:-- Hans Georg