[Haskell-beginners] Categories in Haskell

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Wed May 29 23:04:18 CEST 2013

Robert Goss <goss.robert at gmail.com> wrote:

> The main issue is that the objects of the category (represented by
> the id morphism) are in bijection to some set of haskell types.
>
> [...]
>
> Now this all makes sense Haskell's categories are for reasoning about
> programs while I want to use it more for pure maths. Has anyone else
> had a similar problem with categories in haskell? Or am I missing a
> way of implementing such structures within the standard Category
> framework for haskell.

Perhaps what you need is not a programming language like Haskell, but a
proof assistant like Agda, where you can express arbitrary categories.
A limited form of this is possible in Haskell as well, but the lack of
dependent types would force you through a lot of boilerplate and heavy
value/type/kind lifting.

Greets,
Ertugrul