[Haskell-beginners] Haskell on Debian

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Fri May 24 20:15:16 CEST 2013

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 06:45:28PM +0200, Giacomo Tesio wrote:
> Can I use cabal install without being root?
>
> I'd like to use packages from hackage instead of those provided by apt-get
> as far as possibile.
> Is it possible at all? I guess that libraries depending on FFI won't
> works...

In fact, you *should only* use cabal install without being root.  If
you ever have to write "sudo cabal install ..." you are doing
something wrong.

Libraries depending on FFI will work fine.  Cabal cannot automatically
install external (non-Haskell) dependencies, so you must install any
such dependencies yourself (using apt-get) before calling cabal
install.  Of course, you will probably have to run apt-get with sudo.

-Brent