[Haskell-beginners] Unmaybe

Adrian May adrian.alexander.may at gmail.com
Tue May 14 16:56:53 CEST 2013

Thanks everyone. The first suggestion did the trick without needing any
other modules.

> What instance of Monoid is this?

I dunno, but the context is a gantt chart drawing program:

data Task = Task {  name :: String,  desc :: String,   dur :: Days  } --
tasks is a list of these and deps is a list of...
data Dep = Dep {  pre :: String,   post :: String  } -- referring to Task's
name
-- draw the squiggles representing sequential dependencies:
beziset = foldl atop mempty $ map ((maybe mempty id).bezis) deps
bezis (Dep bef aft) =
    findIndex (\t-> name t == bef) tasks >>= \bti ->
    findIndex (\t-> name t == aft) tasks >>= \ati ->
    let t1 = fromIntegral bti in
    let d1 = finish (tasks !! bti) in   --finish is begin + duration
    let t2 = fromIntegral ati in
    let d2 = begin (tasks !! ati) in  --begin is the latest of the end
dates of the directly preceding tasks (or project kickoff)
    return ( -- the following monstrosity is just about my coordinate system
      fromSegments [bezier3 (r2 (1.3,0)) (r2 (d2-d1-1,-(t2-t1)*(1+gap)))
(r2 (d2-d1,-(t2-t1)*(1+gap))) ] #
         translate (r2 (descspace+d1,-t1*(1+gap))) )

beziset then gets `atop`ed onto a Diagram.

bezis looks far too long as well. Any way to tidy it up? (For some perverse
reason I still don't like do notation.) (I know the bezier3 expression is
hideous but I can fix that myself.)

Adrian.

PS: In my previous job I once spent a week evaluating gantt chart drawing
softwares. Now I wrote the one I was looking for in half a day. That's
Haskell!